Metrology, the science of measurement, can help Earth Observation achieve long term stability, interoperability and inter-satellite equivalence. It provides the tools to perform meaningful comparisons between satellites. The Committee on Earth Observation Satellites (CEOS), encourages the application of metrological principles through the Quality Assurance Framework for Earth Observation (QA4EO).
In the S3TC project we have applied metrological principles as far as practical. This website provides information about those principles.
- Introductory material and basic concepts
- Core principles of metrology
- Uncertainty and errors
- Metrological Vocabulary
- Rules of notation
- Sensor effects and error correlation
- Sensor measurement function
- Error effects
- Error correlation
- Metrological comparisons
- How metrologists use comparisons
- EN ratio